Making money isn’t hard in itself…
What’s hard is to earn it doing something worth devoting one’s life to.
Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind
Not every writer has an agent, nor does every writer necessarily need one. Some writers may be writing a book that’s a once-off publication or may have difficulty securing an agent at the time of being offered a deal. Other writers prefer to deal directly with their publishers and manage their own rights and royalties. We believe that’s just fine. However, we also believe every writer needs to get the most from their publishing contract to get the best deal for their work, that’s why we offer Contract Consultancy sessions.
As a new author, facing a publishing contract in all it’s glory can be a tad overwhelming. Publishing contracts for authors can be convoluted documents up to 30 pages long and that’s no easy task to negotiate. We understand the stress that can come with trying to figure out what it all means. Many writers come to us with publishing contracts they’ve been offered and no idea how to go about understanding them. Our Contract Consultancy sessions work through all the details of a publishing contract with you, advising you on what it all means and what you can negotiate on. Across our TLP consultants we’ve written, issued, negotiated and even signed hundreds of publishing contracts so we know what we’re talking about.
We approach these things fairly and objectively with a 360 degree knowledge of the publishing industry and the publishers you’re likely to be dealing with. We won’t tell you to demand a massive advance from a small Irish publishing house that can’t afford it. We won’t put you through endless negotiations if that’s not for you. What we will do is help you get to a place where you understand your publishing offer or contract, are comfortable discussing it with your publishing team and can confidently agree a deal that benefits everyone.
- Our Contract Consultancy sessions are available on a 1-to-1 basis in the Greater Dublin Area only. All other sessions take place online.
- Cost: Sessions last between one and two hours and are priced at €300 for a 1-2-1 and €250 for an online session. Files must be supplied in advance.
How to buy
- Complete the form below, upload the relevant documents specified via our secure server and make your secure Paypal payment online.
- Once we receive your booking we will reply within 5 (working days) to make arrangements for your consultancy session at a time that suits you.
- Please read the Ts and Cs before making a purchase.